Monday, January 17, 2011

Just Call Me Paula

I'm a child of the 80s.  I love Game Shows.  I was a Hulkamaniac.  I know who Max Headroom was.  But this week, I feel like that Laker Girl who turned into a Choreographer and was made famous by dancing with a cartoon alley cat.

Paula Abdul might as well been describing me when she coined the phrase "one step forward and two steps back".  This week was absolutely HORRIBLE for me in the eating realm.  And as I said in the last blog, I've got a whole bunch of excuses for it.

"I was out of school for a conference and had to eat on the road"

"I wasn't on my regular schedule so I was thrown off"

"I did good, though.  I stuck to Diet Coke and Chicken (tenders covered in ranch sauce)"

A bad combination of living in a hotel for 2 1/2 days combined with a 5 hour drive to pick my kids up from Little Rock and spending the day there was all I needed to have the following:  pizza (twice), bacon burger and fries, fried chicken fingers doused in ranch (twice) and chocolate cake.  Plus, I haven't worked out since Wednesday, nor have I stepped on the scale.

Frankly, I'm dang afraid of what that scale is going to say.  I was just talking about how I lost 10 pounds in 10 days, and that I knew that it was just the first step in a long battle.  The second and third steps were in dance formation - the moonwalk. 

I don't know what the scale is going to read tomorrow, and as much as I want to say that "I don't care and I'm going to work hard to fix it, no matter what it is", the cold reality is that I *DO* care what it says.  I don't want to lose ground on this battle.  I've done that way too many times, and it's the reason that I've gotten in to the position that I have.

Either way, I've been trying to plan some fixes.  Smaller dinners, MUCH more vegetables, even if I don't like them.  I have to remind myself that eating is to nourish the body, not send a veritable circus of fried foods and sugar packed cakes down my.. well, piehole.  It's about bouncing back and continuing. 

I'm going to try Tomato Juice tomorrow morning.  Yogurt, salad (skip the ranch, please), carrot sticks, broccoli - these types of things.  I have to start WANTING to eat healthy, and not just try to go day by day trying not to cheat.

Lifestyle changes win over fighting off urges every single day.  It's time I learn to love those little plants that people call vegetables.  Heck, I expect my four kids to eat them, I guess it's time I do too.

More to update later - wish me luck on that scale!

4 comments:

  1. Best of luck on the scale, Rob!!

    Wow, I thought I was reading my blog for a second. Well, except for the Paula Abdul song. Now it's stuck in my head and I feel the urge to hurt you. ;) lol

    We're climbing up a slippery hill. It's hard as hell to get started, and we keep slipping back to the starting point (or lower for some of us...cough*me*cough). But the harder we try and the more we advance up the hill, the easier it gets.

    You're completely right...it's all about focus. Are we focusing on what we can't eat or on all the fresh and healthy things we can eat? Are we using the daily obstacles as excuses to quit or as motivation to work harder and get past them?

    These have all been things hammering away at my brain. It all comes down to a decision: do I want it or not?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've done it before, so you know it can be done. Good luck - just keep trying!

    ReplyDelete
  3. the 5 best reasons are better than the one reason before. :) You can do it again Rob!!! Keep it up!

    Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  4. Being honest is the first step. That's the real thing. You'll do it!

    Now for me to be honest with myself... :)

    ReplyDelete